Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hole in My Heart

In March of 1992, my dad was facing surgery with less than a 15% (yes fifteen - one five) chance of surviving it.

Dad asked mom for a pen and pad of paper the night before surgery and then sent her home to get some sleep. The pad and what dad might have written were forgotten in the aftermath of grief when we discovered that the surgery was not successful and we only had approximately six more months with him.

After dad recovered enough to come home, he showed us what he had written and asked that we have it copyrighted, printed, and distributed at his funeral. We honored his request.



I Didn’t Die

I didn’t die so please don’t cry
I am the raindrop on your windowpane
I am the wind that blows through your grain
I am the dust that got in your eye
I didn’t die, so please don’t cry

I am the leaf that fell to the ground
I am the thunder that made that sound
I am the river that flows through the land
I am the flower that grows in the sand
I didn’t die, so please don’t cry

I am the grapes that grow on the vine
I am the rose that smells so fine
So you see I will be whatever God wants me to be
I didn’t die, so please don’t cry


© 1992 by Don Johnson.  All rights reserved.
 
 
When my dad passed away 20 years ago today, he left a hole in my heart that is still there but what he wrote gives me comfort. 
 
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. Oh Cat, that is absolutely beautiful. What a man your dad must have been. You know he had to be frightened with what he was facing, yet in that moment he found a way to try and give his family some peace.

    I lost my dad when I was 19....I agree, the pain is not as raw....but I would give anything to have him meet my boys!

    There is nothing quite like the father/daughter relationship, is there?

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy for your lovely comments. We were lucky in that my boys were 7 and 14 when dad died so they had some great memories of their time with him. Father/daughter relationships are special.

      Thanks for stopping by.
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Your father sounds like he was a very wise and loving man. I still have my parents, but many things have changed. I cherish every moment I spend with them. My mother is the last surviving of her family, and my dad has two brothers left from his family. Keeping the stories and memories alive always makes us better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minelle, you are so blessed to still have both of your parents and right to cherish every moment you spend with them.

      Good point, keeping the stories and memories alive always makes us better and makes us feel better.

      Thanks for sharing,
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Cat --
    That's a lovely poem ... what a beautiful gift from your father, it made me cry. My dad died young as well and I agree that it leaves a hole in your heart. The pain becomes less sharp with time, but it's always there.
    Sending a hug,
    B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the poem makes me cry and sometimes it makes me smile.

      You're right, the pain fades but no matter how many years have passed, it is still there.

      Hugs and Blessings to you B.
      Cat

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful tribute for your dad to leave for all of you. I understand that hole which can't be filled with anyone/anything else and know to appreciate those who are here.

    Blessings to you Cat. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment and blessings Susie.

      Delete
  5. Oh Cat
    What a beautiful tribute this is to your dear Dad. I lost my Dad in October of 2000. I miss him so much. I feel sorry for how young you were. I was in my thirties and I felt too young.
    big big hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lillie for your sweet words and hug. It was my sons who were so young and my heart breaks for them as they were so close to him. The youngest actually misses dad more as he has gotten older.

      My heart goes out to you for the loss of your dad. It is never easy no matter what your age. :(

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  6. I love your dad's poem, Cat. It's beautiful. Thank you for sharing this.

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you enjoyed it Irishey. It was my pleasure to share it.

      Delete
  7. Good morning, Cat. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is beyond beautiful. It truly touched my heart. Is it okay with you if I print it out? I would love to keep it just for myself, and also, unfortunately, I may have occasion to use it to try and bring comfort to someone shortly. I would, of course give credit to your father. If you'd rather I didn't, I understand.

    I'm also glad you shared this because I feel I know you a little better now. I love the jokes and funny stories. I can always count on you to cheer me up and start my day off right. But, I also want to get to know Cat a little better too. From the first, reading your comments on LDD, I've been impressed by you. I was glad to see you start your own blog.

    I'm so sorry you lost your father. It may have been twenty years ago, but the truly special people we lose, we never really get over it. May all the good memories, and of course, his beautiful words bring you comfort. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey CG - I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. If you know someone it would help, please feel free to print it out and share it with them. All I ask is that you make sure dad's copyright is on it.

      Thanks for the compliment. I'm happy that I can start your day with a smile.

      Thank you so much for your sweet words and hugs - they mean a lot to me.

      Blessings and hugs to you.
      Cat

      Delete
  8. Hugs for you. I am glad that you have this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the hugs Ana. I am also very happy He left this for us.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.