Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

16 and Pregnant – Revisited



When I posted the picture yesterday, I really didn’t think it needed any explanation, thought it stood on its own. Now however, for reasons I’ll go into a bit later, I’ve decided to give a bit of background and thought process behind my previous post.

I was having dinner in a very nice restaurant several days ago when I overheard the following conversation:

Mother: Are you having sex with that boy?

Daughter: It’s none of your business bitch!

Father: If you get pregnant, it is our business! (What! It’s only your business if she gets pregnant? You’re not going to say anything about her calling her mother that!??? Mom? Nothing to say!???)

Mother: I’m not raising any more kids and you are only 15 years old. What are you going to do if you get pregnant?

Daughter: I’ll just go on that program “16 and Pregnant” or that other one “Teen Mom”. They pay those girls good money and they have their own apartments, nice cars, don’t have to work and sure don’t have to put up with any crap from their stupid parents!

Mother: Fine, just don’t expect any help from us.

They then continued eating their dinner. My friend and I just looked at each other. Neither one of us could believe that conversation. We both commented on how that conversation would have way different if we were that girl talking to our parents or if we were that mother and she was our daughter.

We then started discussing how those programs which proponents claim are a deterrent to teen pregnancy actually seem to be the opposite (maybe not but I don't think they stop teens from anything).

Having raised two teens (yes they did survive to become lovely young men), I know that teens have a mentality of “that won’t happen to me!” Tell them they need to wear a seat belt because statistics show there is a much higher chance of survival and less injury in an accident and their thought process is “won't happen to me”. Tell them they need to wear a seat belt or you’re pulling their keys for a month – guess who is wearing a seat belt! Teens think they are invincible and nothing bad will happen to them. So when I saw that picture, I thought, isn’t that perfect, wouldn’t it be nice to have some television shows that depicted teens and young adults striving for a goal.

There was no ulterior motive to trash, bash, or in any way denigrate teen mothers. No, a young girl who gets pregnant should not be locked away, thrown out of the house, considered to be a “bad” person, or any other negative action or thought! Accidents do happen and when they do, the family of both teens should be loving and supportive in whatever choices they make.

Here is the reason behind the explanation.

Trolls “Be Gone”

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my opinions but I do expect that disagreement to be done in a respectful manner with no rude, insulting, obnoxious, and/or vulgar language. Then you have the nerve to extend those rude, insulting, obnoxious, vulgar comments to others who have left comments on my blog! You were cowardly in leaving those comments anonymously. Yes, I did call you cowards.

I have now given you an explanation of the thought behind the picture but I simply refuse to give you any more time or tolerate any more of your nonsense. I have now turned on "moderation" so when your nasty comments are received, they will be deleted. You are not worth my time and will not have a forum for your nonsense on my blog.

So now you have it, I apologize for the rant.

8 comments:

  1. Go get ' em, Cat! I didn't see any of the trolls' comments, and I'm sorry that you had to read their attacks, and felt you needed to explain yourself and defend your thinking.

    I understood the cartoon slogan and agree with your reasoning here for why you posted it. I was a 19yo teen mother, although long graduated from high school with some college completed, and I was married, but I should have waited.

    Two of my three grown daughters had a baby at 19, too. I really wish they had waited, too. I wouldn't go back now and undo any of it, because I wouldn't have the same wonderful children and grandchildren.

    But, I know it would have been easier for all of us had we waited a few more years to have children. It would have been much less struggle to try to finish our educations. We could have focused more on our careers instead of taking jobs to pay bills early on. It was difficult doing it the hard way.

    @ TROLLS: Look right above the Comment box. It says, "Respectful comments are always welcome."

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Always Successful Irishey. Thanks for your comments and support. I was in a meeting and just listening so decided to read a few of my favorite blogs (work from home so I can do that if it's just an informational meeting). Saw I had a bunch of comments and popped over to see if any were questions regarding the soup recipe I had posted. There were about 20 truly nasty comments that not only attacked me (I really don't care what they think of me) but attacked the people who had left respectful comments. The only thing I could do right then, was to delete all their comments and change the moderation status so that they didn't get any other nasties posted. Got a feeling it was a group of friends who stumbled on the blog. Will leave moderation on for a while in case they come back.

      Definitely agree with you. I wouldn't go back and a change anything in my life because I wouldn't have my boys, DILs, or granddaughters if I had.

      Hugs,
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Wow!That is horrible. I did not see anything judgmental or negative in your post. I saw what you wrote as positive education and encouragement.
    The teen in the restaurant seemed so confused and angry to me in your description. Troubled.

    I have such mixed feelings about that program. I think they show most of the boys as losers. Also, when I see the baby being neglected I have such a hard time not crying.My kids don't watch it as much anymore but I would often try and point out how hard it is.

    I believe in keeping the lines of communication open, and told my daughter (and son) to be smart. I explained that with many- many open conversations. She always tell her friends that she knows she could come to me even if I would be disappointed about her choices. She has also had a very close friend who is a teen mom. She is very supportive, and the child is a joy. Now however, my daughter and son know first hand how hard it is.

    Really how could anyone see what you wrote as bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minelle - thanks for your comments. I agree, that girl in the restaurant was very troubled and her parents either didn't care or have given up. Being a parent is hard work and not for the faint of heart. Communication, there's that word again LOL, it is so important in relationships.

      If the boys aren't being depicted as losers on one of those teen pregnancy shows, then they are having to fight with the mothers for visitation. It would be wonderful if parents (and not just teen ones) would not use children as a weapon against the other parent. Children need both parents if at all possible.

      The nasty comments were all left on yesterdays post "16 and Pregnant" which was just a jpg that said "16 and pregnant? What about 18 and graduated? 22 and successful?" with a picture of a woman in a suit. Nothing offensive or judgemental in my view but boy howdy did it set off a round of insults and name calling!

      Thanks for your support.
      Cat

      Delete
  3. I didn't see anything in your post that was negative. There are many women who have been trying for years to get pregnant and there shouldn't be anything negative about that - just happy for their success finally. Challenging yes - joyful yes - negative no way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sunnygirl - the making rude comments were made on my original post - see my explanation to Minelle above. As far as your comment goes, I agree - very happy for women who are trying to get pregnant and finally succeed.

      Delete
  4. Uh oh, the trolls found you, huh?? It hasn't happened to me yet, but I know it's only a matter of time. I'm sorry you had to deal with that! It's a shame you had to turn on moderation, but I certainly understand why you had to. I'll do the same if I have to! You and your blog are lovely, I hope you don't let some idiot put you off. I completely understood where you were coming from with that picture, and I agreed with it 100%. Have a wonderful day, Cat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CG - Unfortunately, they did find me but moderation, while a pain, will keep from giving them a forum for they're spewing. Thanks for such a lovely and supportive comment. Nope, they're not gonna run me off. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.