Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Caribbean Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup

It won't be long before quite a few people start into colder weather, so I decided to go ahead and post one of my favorite recipes that I make during the winter. I call this a soup because it's not quite as thick as a stew but it is has less broth than most soups.
Caribbean Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 4 cups white potatoes, peeled and cubed (I use Yukon gold)
  • Cooked chicken breast, approx 5 breasts, cubed (If you don’t have time to cook the chicken breasts, you can use frozen cooked chicken (e.g., Tyson Oven Roasted diced – 22oz) or a whole roasted chicken from your supermarket deli
  • 3 (10 ounce) cans Rotel diced tomatoes w/lime and cilantro (if you cannot find these, use approx 30 ounces of canned, diced tomatoes, the juice from 2 limes, ¼ cup chopped green chilies and ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 4 teaspoons Caribbean (or Jamaican) Jerk Seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
  • 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) – can always increase after tasting
  • ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • salt and pepper to taste
 Directions:
  1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Stir in onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Stir in sweet potatoes, chicken, tomatoes, and 2 cups of water.
  4. Add Jerk Seasoning, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and red pepper flakes.
  5. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
  6. Stir in white potatoes.
  7. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender but not mushy, 10 to 20 minutes.
  8. Add honey and brown sugar.
  9. Stir the soup occasionally to keep it from sticking.
  10. Stir in corn and black beans.
  11. Heat a few minutes until hot; top each bowl with cilantro when served.
Notes:
  • You could use all 8 cups sweet potatoes rather than 4 sweet/4 white but do not use all white – it just will not taste as good.
  • Take it easy with the spices – only add more after the soup has simmered a bit. The longer it simmers, the spicier it becomes.
  • This soup is spicy and filling – especially for growing boys.
  • It is very versatile. You can add more water and/or stock if you want to make it soupier.
  • If you are a vegetarian, simply eliminate the chicken. You can also add your favorite vegetables.
  • I usually serve this with chunks of garlic bread but you can use whatever is your family favorite.
It really is not a difficult soup to make and does not take very long.  From the time I start preparing the vegetables, it takes a bit over an hour.  Of course, like any soup or stew, the longer it simmers, the better it becomes.
Hope you enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!! I have GOT to try this. Thanks. Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie - Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude but is this really spicy? If I don't like very spicy food, will I like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon - No this isn't super spicy. There are red pepper flakes in Caribbean Jerk Seasoning so you might want to omit the additional red pepper flakes. My suggestion would be to cut the Caribbean Jerk seasoning to 2 teaspoons and then after the soup has simmered taste it. You can always add more. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cat, I just wanted to thank you so much for this recipe. I only used 2 teaspoons of the Caribbean Jerk seasoning and left out the red pepper flakes and it was just right for me. My sister-in-law dropped by just at dinner time (like she always does but that's another story) and she loved it! For ONCE, she had no "helpful" hints regarding my cooking. I served it with thinly sliced garlic bread and my husband loved it. He said to tell you "great job" and that he would love for me to try any other recipes you post. Will be watching for more. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Hi Anon - Thank you and your husband for your kind words. I'm very happy that all of you enjoyed the soup. Will be posting more recipes in the near future. Hope you enjoy them as well.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try it. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Joanie. A friend of mine told me that it looked like a lot of ingredients but like I told her, most of the list is seasonings which I usually keep stocked. Hope you do also. Of course, her idea of seasonings is salt and pepper. :)

      Delete
  4. I will absolutely make this! Maybe I will start my diet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Minelle, look at the ingredients, this is not really fattening. No heavy cream, flour, milk, etc. and you don't have to serve bread with it. I've also heard that spicier foods help you lose weight. Don't know that for a fact, but it sounds good to me! ;)

      Delete
    2. I absolutely love spicy foods. Maybe I would be much heavier if I didn't pour hot sauce on lots of my food. Just kidding. The bread would have to go for me or I am done. TRIGGER!

      Delete
    3. Minelle - If you love very spicy, taste after it simmers and see if you want it spicier. If so, I would suggest you add a teaspoon of Caribbean Jerk Seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes - simmer for 10-15 minutes and taste again.

      Delete
  5. This sounds amazing, Cat. I love spicy food. Thank you!

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love very spicy Irishey, see my comment to Minelle above. This soup is not super spicy but if I don't put "spicy" in the title, someone is going to yell at me because of the red pepper flakes in the Caribbean Jerk seasoning and then the additional ones. :)

      If you make it, let me know what you think.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing Cat. This sounds pretty yummy! Perfect for these cooler evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is perfect for cooler evenings. I'll make a big pot of it over a weekend and then I have it for lunch and/or supper the rest of the week. I know - overkill but dang I'm addicted to it. LOL

      Delete
  7. Our little bitty town grocery doesn't carry fresh cilantro - nor even the stuff in the tube. No jerk seasoning (thinking dry mix for rubs?), but they did have a Jamaican jerk marinade. I'm going to try that. They had the Rotel with lime and cilantro! I was stunned! Lol!

    So, Cat's Soup (that is what I'm calling it!) for dinner tomorrow night or whenever D's throat is better. He's been sick all weekend. :((

    My youngest daughter is a tough sell, Cat. If she likes it, it's gold. I'll post the consensus.

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Irishey - They don't have fresh or tubed cilantro but do have Rotel with lime and cilantro? LOL I have only used Caribbean and Jamaican Jerk Seasonings but I don't see why the marinade or dry rub wouldn't work. I'd just go easy on the other spices until everything has a chance to blend since dry rub and marinade are probably stronger. To give you an idea so that you can compare, Caribbean Jerk Seasoning has allspice, red pepper flakes, thyme, onion, and turmeric in it. Will be interested in hearing your daughter's opinion and the overall consensus. Oops, just saw a mistake in the recipe - nowhere did I say to actually add the seasoning! Better go fix that now! :(

      Hope D gets better soon,
      Cat

      Delete
    2. "Cat's Soup"? I see how you are Irishey, all the blame goes to Cat if they don't like it. LOL

      Delete
  8. Hi, Cat. D finally went to doc today - tonsillitis. Making Cat's Soup anyway, as we speak. If you're around right now...just noticed directions say to add chili powder. Am I not seeing that in the ingredients list? Regular chili seasoning or a specific type of chili pepper in ground/powder form? How much?

    Decided to use dried parsley as cilantro substitute. Close enough, I hope. Cruising fingers! Thanks.

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHH - leave chili powder out! Am correctly recipe now!

      Delete
    2. Ok Irishey - got it fixed. I noticed a few days ago that I had not included Jerk Seasoning in the "add" instructions and fixed that. Must have had chili powder on the mind instead of Jerk Seasoning. What can I say? Oops! Sorry about that.

      So sorry to hear you have tonsilitis - that is painful. Hopefully, the spice in the soup will not hurt. You can use dried parsley - just won't have quite the same taste but hey, we use what we got. That's how I came up with this recipe. LOL

      Will keep an eye on this post if you have more questions.
      Take care,

      Cat

      Delete
  9. Had to opt out of the jerk marinade, has vinegar and sugar, don't think that's the thing to do. No thyme, but added allspice, turmeric, cayenne, red pepper flakes, and marjoram for the thyme. Oh, and had dried cilantro. Punting... Lol!

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you're punting very well! :)

      Delete
    2. It was very good, Cat - success! D said he could feel it burning his tonsils the first few bites, but I think the peppers have a temporary numbing effect. He ate a big bowl.

      That recipe made a huge pot of stew. Going to freeze some for a quick meal on a busy night. Thank you, again!

      Irishey

      Delete
    3. Woohoo! Go Irishey! You are very welcome. Just happy that you enjoyed it. Since you modified it, you might want to write down types/amounts of spices you used so that you an recreate it. Or if you have the ingredients next time, just follow the recipe and see how that turns out.

      I made a big pot of it Saturday but am not going to have enough left to freeze. My youngest and his wife came by to pick up some tools and ended up taking a large bowl home with them. And of course I could eat it every day. :)

      Am curious regarding the verdict of your youngest daughter - did she like it? You said she was a tough sell.

      Hope D gets better soon.
      Cat

      Delete
    4. Sorry I didn't get back over here until now. Little girl turned her nose up at it. :( But, as D always tells her, "More for me!" Lol! This was fun. Thanks.

      Irishey

      Delete
    5. Did little girl turn her nose up after tasting or take one look and say "No Way"? I was visiting my oldest and fixed Hot Spiced Shrimp for them which is one of his favorites. My oldest granddaughter would not even try it - informed me she didn't like shrimp when in fact she had just chowed down on shrimp cocktail a few nights prior. When I pointed that fact out to her, the little stinker had the audacity to tell me "well you know Mimi - tastes change!" She is 4 years old! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.