Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Quick and Easy Sweet Potato Dip

With the holiday season starting, I thought I'd share one of my holiday recipes. Yes, I do make it at other times of the year, but it is always made during the holidays. LOL

Servings:  Haven't a clue.  I have one DIL that can eat this whole thing by herself.  Guess it depends on how much people eat. LOL


Ingredients:

  • 2 medium peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 4 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
  • Crackers or cracker chips

Directions:

  1. Place the potatoes in a pan and add enough water to cover.
  2. Bring to a boil and and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
  3. Drain the potatoes.
  4. Add the syrup and butter to the potatoes and mash well.
  5. Mix the lemon juice, ginger, nutmeg, pepper flakes and 3 tablespoons of the walnuts into the potatoes.
  6. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle the remaining walnuts over the top.
  7. Serve with crackers or cracker chips.
Notes:
  • Only takes about 30 minutes – start to finish
  • To mash the potatoes, you can either use a potato masher (dip will have a bit more texture) or an electric hand mixer (dip will be smoother and creamier).
  • Can be served warm, room temp or cold - my personal preference is warm. I have a small warming tray that I set the dip on. I have also put it in a crock pot on the low/warm setting.
  • If you don't have pure maple syrup, any good maple syrup will work but I just like the way the pure tastes and blends.
  • I use different varieties of baked cracker chips but you can use whatever sounds good to you. LOL
  • If you want this spicier, you can add more red pepper flakes but I would wait until after the flavors had a chance to blend a bit.
  • If you want this sweet without a hint of spicy, omit the red pepper flakes 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, as always, I would love any feedback you would care to give.


15 comments:

  1. Hi Cat, this sounds good but I don't like walnuts. Have you ever tried making it with pecans or just leaving nuts out of it? Does it still taste good? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Anon, don't like walnuts either. But SO want to try this recipe! :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Anon and Rogue - Don't know about you two *shaking head* - don't like walnuts?! The dip has a bit more texture if there are nuts in it so if you like nuts, try pecans. I have made it without nuts at all and with pecans and it turned out great both ways. If you make it, let me know what you think.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  2. OMG forget the crackers or chips! Just give me a spoon. Thank you for sharing. Karina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Karina - I have to hide the spoons from my DIL when I make this since she tries the same thing! Come back anytime.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  3. I just copied this down. I am in charge of appetizers. Thank you so much Cat. This is different and sounds yummy. It's also right up my alley because it's less than five steps. THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I posted this at just the right time for you Sunny. Now that you mention it, I do remember a comment you made about wanting recipes with less than 5 steps. LOL And this is super easy to make. If you think about it, drop back by and let me know what people thought about it.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Wow, this looks both so easy and so yummy - mind kind of recipe :) Thanks so much for sharing this Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Roz, you're in Sunny's camp are you? I love this dip and it is extremely easy. Let me know what you think.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. If you make it Ana, would love your feedback.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Sounds great. I laughed at the serving part. Must be good if DIL can eat it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh SNP - believe that girl would eat a double batch by the spoonful if I didn't hide the spoons from her when I make this. LOL

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  7. Sweet potatoes are a super food and I am always really happy to get recipes to incorporate them into our diet....never had an appetizer one before - so THANKS, Cat!
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make it Lillie, let me know if you and Ian like it.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.