Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Spiced Cider

When I posted my eggnog recipe, Clara said she didn't like eggnog and I offered to post my cider recipe. 


Here ya go Clara…my family calls it ‘spiced’ , some friends call it ‘mulled’...I just call it yummy. LOL  


We have this on Christmas morning with our Christmas Cake and then it simmers all day so that anyone who comes by can have a mug or two.


 

hot_apple_cider-210172
Honestly, this is not my house but sure looks a lot like mine! Smile

 

Ingredients:

  • 1 gallon apple cider
  • 6 ounces frozen orange juice (concentrated)
  • 1 orange – sliced
  • 1 lemon – sliced
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks (approximately 2 ½ inches each)
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • Rum (light or dark) or Brandy
  • Additional cinnamon sticks

 

Instructions:

  1. Mix all ingredients except the liquor and additional cinnamon sticks in stock pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Cover and simmer 1 hour stirring occasionally.
  3. Once you have simmered the cider, you can leave it it the pot with the burner to down to warm.
 

To Serve:


  • Ladle cider into mugs and add cinnamon stick.
  • For adults, measure 1 ounce rum or brandy into mug then add cider and cinnamon stick.

 

Notes:

  • If you don’t have or are unable to find frozen orange juice concentrate, you can use 8 ounces of orange juice and add another orange.
  • I have a buffet style coffee percolator that I bought at auction...just put all the ingredients in the basket with the cider in the pot.
  • I have also put all the ingredients in a crock pot (slow cooker), set it on high and once everything started to simmer, turned it down to warm.
  • Once you have simmered the cider on the stove, you could put it into a crock pot set on warm for serving.
  • I set mugs out by the cider with a dish of cinnamon sticks that people can use if they want a bit of extra cinnamon in their cider.
  • Use you liquor of choice, it doesn’t have to be rum or brandy.


As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, I would love any feedback you would care to give.  

Hope you enjoy!
 

22 comments:

  1. Thank you, Cat.Looking forward to trying this one on Christmas Eve with the family! Clara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds delicious, Cat!!! :) I think that we will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing! : Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Katie...let me know what you think. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. If you try it Susie, let me know what you think. ;)

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Nice recipe, better than eggnog!!
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Jan...another one who doesn't care for eggnog...it can be very rich. Hope you like this. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy Sunny! BTW...whatever I have leftover, I cool and pour back in the cider jug. Then I can just pour a mug and heat it in the microwave when I want some. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. I've been reading so many yummy recipes today on blogland. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been reading all the cookie recipes haven't you Kenzie. :D This will go well in washing them down. LOL

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. :D I love spiced cider! It goes really well with almond bunt cake too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Sara...almond bundt cake? I do believe you need to share that recipe with all of us. ;)

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. Love it. I am constantly heating a cup of Knudsen organic, no sugar added apple juice and adding a cinnamon stick. Now I can really spice it up!

    Thanks,
    -H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will really enjoy it Hedone. As I told Sunny, you can make a batch, cool it and pour it back into the cider jug. Then you can heat it up a mug at a time in the microwave or on the stove. Let me know if you have any questions.

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hope you do Minelle...let me know if you have any questions. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  10. Got to love anything you can use a slow cooker with. ;) Thank you for the recipe, sounds like another delicious winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Es May...love the slow cooker do ya. ;) If you try this, let me know what you think.

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  11. I love hot spiced cider! I will definitely try this recipe as I have yet to find a favorite...and this might be the one. :-) The Christmas cake sounds yummy as well - what a nice tradition. :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terps...will be interested in hearing if this becomes your favorite. ;) We've always enjoyed the tradition...my oldest is continuing the cake/cider tradition with his girls now. :D

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.