Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Caribbean Shrimp & Coconut Soup

If you haven't figured it out yet, I love the spices of the Caribbean. I cook with a lot of Caribbean seasonings and add cilantro to just about everything but I promise that the next recipe I post will be something different than "Caribbean". :-)
This recipe serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 8 green onions or scallions – thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic – minced
  • 2 teaspoons Caribbean (or Jamaican) Jerk Seasoning – can always increase after tasting
  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • ½ lemon – sliced
  • 6 to 8 ounces uncooked small shrimp – peeled and deveined (be sure to remove tails)
  • 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional) – can always increase after tasting
  • 2 cups cooked basmati rice
         Or
  • ½ cup uncooked small soup pasta
Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Stir in onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened, about 3 minutes.
3. Whisk together the coconut milk, chicken stock and Jerk Seasoning until smooth.
4. Pour into pot.
5. Add lemon slices and bring to a boil.
If using rice, skip to step 7
6. Add soup pasta.
7. Simmer half covered for 10 – 12 minutes (or if using pasta, until it is tender) stirring occasionally.
8. Add red pepper flakes.
9. Remove the lemon slices.
10. Add the shrimp.
11. Simmer 2 – 3 minutes until shrimp turns pink (watch carefully so that shrimp is not overcooked).
12. Remove from heat.
13. Stir in cilantro.
If you added the pasta, skip to step 15
14. Place ½ cup rice in each bowl and ladle soup over rice.
15. Ladle soup in bowl.
  
Notes:
  • You can use whatever cooking oil you want if you do not have or do not want to use peanut oil. I just like the taste of the peanut oil with the coconut.
  • If you do not care for or cannot find Basmati rice, use whatever rice you prefer.
  • Take it easy with the spices – only add more after the soup has simmered a bit (step 7). The longer it simmers, the spicier it becomes.
  • If you are a vegetarian, simply eliminate the shrimp; substituting your favorite vegetables.
  • I usually serve this with thin slices of toasted bread. Of course, you can serve whatever your family favorite is but I would suggest staying away from heavy and/or thickly sliced breads since this soup is on the lighter side.
  • If you do not have Caribbean or Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, it contains allspice, red pepper flakes, thyme, onion, and turmeric but I don’t really know the proportions.
  • I cut this recipe down because it DOES NOT freeze well. Only cook what you will eat in 1 to 2 meals. If you reheat, DO NOT bring to a boil – heat as little as possible to warm thoroughly or you will toughen the shrimp.
  • If you have a larger family, simply double or triple the measurements. My original recipe was triple to allow for at least two servings for each son plus whichever of their friends “just happened to stop by” at dinnertime. LOL


If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, I would love any feedback you would care to give.



Hope you enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. Will be trying it soon. I love the taste of cilantro in anything too. I use coconut oil all the time so I will substitute. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I add cilantro and lemon to my green salads instead of salad dressing sunnygirl. :) Coconut oil will probably work well. Let me know how it turns out.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Everyone in my house loves spicy food, but not everyone loves coconut milk, I do. Is the coconut very strong and have you ever tried it with brown basmati rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the coconut is that strong BB - the spices and chicken broth mellow it out and it's only 1 cup of coconut milk to 3 cups of chicken broth. Yes, I have tried it with brown basmati, in fact, that's what I actually have in my cupboard right now and it works great. If you decide to make it, let me know how everyone likes it.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the recipe. I made it tonight and everyone loved it, even my "I don't like coconut milk" people. It is not too spicy. It is slightly spice as it blooms in your mouth half way through the bowl. My husband still added a jalapeno/serano pepper condiment I make to make it spicier.
      Thanks again Cat!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the feedback BB. It's funny how so many people who swear they don't like coconut milk love this soup. One woman loved this soup and asked me for the recipe but swore I must have made it different from the recipe because she hates coconut milk and there was none in that soup. Oh yes there was. LOL I'm a firm believer in the "you can always add more but not remove" school of thought so when I write up my recipes, always err on the side of less. :)

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
    4. Hi Cat,
      Just wanted to let you know I made it again and they loved it still. Sometimes, the second time I make something, even if they loved it the first time I get, "You made THAT again?"
      I did add another teaspoon of the seasoning and a little more than a cup of frozen chopped spinach (always trying to get those veggies in). It was really good.
      It is going in the keeper box of recipes.
      Thanks again.

      Delete
    5. Yea BB! So happy to hear that they all liked it. I might try the spinach in mine next time I make it - that sounds good. So happy it's a keeper, thanks for the feedback.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Ian will love this soup. I am going to get the ingredients and make this for him, maybe for next Sunday HoH appreciation night. This has everything we will love. I doubt I will be able to get coconut milk here, any substitutions or should I just wait until I can get to the city and do it right?
    hugs,
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lillie - I have never made it with anything but coconut milk. A friend of mine from work used 2% milk and added a teaspoon of coconut extract but didn't like it - don't know if it was because of the substitution or because she didn't like the soup.

      Personally, I would just wait until I could get the coconut milk but that's just me. Have you looked in the baking aisle where they have evaporated and sweetened condensed milk? That's where they have it here. You might ask and if they don't have it, see if they would order it for you. Walmart won't do it but our little grocery store in town will.

      Hugs,
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Sounds good, Cat. I have a picky eater, but she loves shrimp. I might be able to slide this one by her. ;-)

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Irishey - it's your daughter that is the picky one right? If she likes shrimp and rice, don't let her see the coconut milk can or see what spices you add - she might actually like it! Will be interested in hearing her reaction. Let me know if you have any questions about the recipe.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.