Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Quesadilla Pie


Ok, I told you I would share something with no Caribbean seasoning in it so here it is. Yes, there is a bit of cilantro but hey, give me a break!

When you are busy and/or have a large crowd to feed, this is much easier than making multiple quesadillas. 

1 pie serves 4

Ingredients:
2 pounds chopped or shredded cooked chicken
2 cups chunky salsa, divided
3 (7 1/2 inch-diameter) flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup raw baby spinach
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup cilantro
2 tomatoes – chopped

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken and 1 cup of the salsa. Stir until combined.
  3. Spread 1/2 cup of the salsa onto the bottom of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
  4. Lay first tortillas into the pie plate on top of salsa.
  5. Top with half of the chicken mixture.
  6. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
  7. Layer with 1/2 cup spinach.
  8. Layer with second tortillas.
  9. Repeat layering the chicken mixture, cheese and spinach once more.
  10. Top with the remaining tortilla, 1/2 cup salsa and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
  11. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
  12. While pie is baking, mix shredded cabbage with chopped cilantro.
  13. Remove foil and bake 5 minutes more, or until the cheese melts.
  14. Let cool slightly before slicing into wedges.
  15. Top each wedge with shredded cabbage/cilantro mix and chopped tomato.

Notes:

  • I usually buy boneless, skinless chicken pieces, roast them, then cool and shred.
  • You could roast a whole chicken, cool it, then remove the skin and shred.
  • I have also bought a cooked rotisserie chicken, removed the skin and shredded the meat.
  • I use medium salsa but you can use hot or mild – whichever you and your family prefer – you could make one medium and one hot if you want.
  • Very easy to make multiple pies – add 5 minutes baking time if you make 2 pies and 15 minutes if you make 3 pies.
  • I usually serve with spiced black beans on the side but you could substitute refried beans or Spanish rice or nothing.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, as always, I would love any feedback you would care to give.

Hope you enjoy!



15 comments:

  1. This looks great, Cat! I love your recipes, they are so unique. This would be a terrific brunch item when you have a crowd, and you could have much of the prep work done ahead, the cooking and shredding of the chicken, cheese, and cabbage.
    I am going to make this on the weekend.
    Thanks Sweetie!
    or should I call you Martha (as in Stewart)?
    hugs and love
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL - Martha Stewart? Not by a longshot. Most of the recipes I've shared are simply an attempt to feed growing boys without breaking the bank or spending hours in the kitchen. :) This is a great recipe that you can prep ahead of time and then simply put together and stick in the oven. Let me know how it works out for you.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  2. I am going to try this for sure,Cat- yum!

    I always create recipes and never follow the directions perfectly. I used to throw something like this together and used refried beans, but not the cabbage. The other thing I did was tear the tortillas in pieces to overlap the layering. It always comes out just a little different each time.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad taught me to cook and it was the "throw it in the pot and see what comes out" method. ;) My crew started complaining that I never made anything the same way twice and they really had some faves so I started trying to measure. Don't always follow them exactly but what can I say. LOL Hope this turns out well for you.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
    2. Made it tonight! It will be eaten tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Sweet! Let me know if everyone likes it.

      Delete
  3. I've made something similar to this too. I bet it's delicious. I've also made a chili relleno casserole that is great to feed a crowd.

    BTW, I tried your suggestion about lime juice and cilantro on a green salad. It was terrific.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to post your chili relleno recipe Sunny! Sweet, glad you liked it the lime and cilantro - you can also use lemon if you don't have lime. Not quite as good but it works. Most people think I am using that combo for diet/weight loss reasons but the truth is that I just love the taste. :)

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Sound great Cat, Yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Roz. Hope you enjoy it.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Sounds yummy...we will try it. I may even have guests tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it turns out well Susie. If you decide to make it, let me know how it turns out.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Might have to try that, Cat. I could substitute my seitan for the chicken - bet it would be YUM! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could easily substitute your seitan June. If you make this, let me know how it turns out please.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.