Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

TBT-Chocolate Gravy plus Update from Katie

UPDATE: Our sweet Katie from This Whole Thing asked if I would update all y'all on her dad...
He is doing much better and Katie thanks everyone SO MUCH for all the prayers, thoughts and love they are receiving. She will respond to all the lovely comments and messages all y'all have sent as soon as she can.  Meanwhile, I am asking that you keep sending prayers, healing energy and positive thoughts for her, her dad and the rest of the family.

Now...back to our scheduled program!  

I referred to the following recipe…one of my favorites from my grandpa…in my comments on PK’s blog the other day so thought I’d re-share for those of you who had not seen it or had forgotten about it.

Grandpa used to make this for all the grandkids as a special treat for breakfast, an afternoon snack, or after supper dessert.  BTW, the adults loved it also.

Never heard of chocolate gravy?  Oh my, you did have a deprived childhood. LOL

And just how do you serve chocolate gravy you might ask.  With homemade or canned ‘country style’ biscuits (Scones for you Brits! LOL) A while back, I ended up with some leftover pound cake and made some chocolate gravy to go over it...ooh yummy!  If ya don't have any biscuits, just put it on plain bread!

UPDATED...Thanks to our sweet Minelle from Minelle's Breath  I realized I had copy/paste errors in this recipe which have now been corrected.  I apologize for any problems this may have caused. Thank you Minelle!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white granulated sugar
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and then whisk the flour in until well-blended (no lumps).
  2. Add the milk slowly whisking it into the mixture.
  3. Whisk until smooth. 
  4. Whisk the cocoa and sugar together in a saucepan until well-blended (no lumps). 
  5. Whisk in to the milk mixture.
  6. Whisk until smooth.
  7. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, until it is the consistency of gravy (approximately 8 to 10 minutes).
  8. Remove from heat.
  9. Whisk in extract.
  10. Serve immediately over biscuits.
Notes
  • Use a whisk throughout the mixing/stirring and you will not have any lumps.
  • If the gravy gets too thick, you can add more milk a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
  • For a different flavor or if you don’t care for vanilla, you can substitute almond extract.
  • You can substitute an equal amount of Stevia in the Raw, Splenda or any other sugar substitute for the granulated sugar.
  • DO NOT use the flaky type of canned biscuits.
  • I have used all types of milk including coconut, almond and cow’s (whole and 2%)…whatever I have on hand…even used sweetened condensed one time and just eliminated the sugar.  LOL
  • You can also use rice flour or almond flour to make this gravy gluten-free.
  • If you need or want a good biscuit recipe, here's an excellent one for Buttermilk biscuits (with pictures): http://www.tsgcookin.com/2011/03/country-buttermilk-biscuits/

If  any of you have made this recipe from the last time I posted, please feel free to give any suggestions or modifications you might have made.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, as always, I would love any feedback you would care to give.

Hope you enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update on Katie's dad. I will continue to send prayers and good thoughts for her entire family.

    Wow, I haven't seen this recipe before and it looks absolutely wonderful! I'm not very good at baking so I will probably just pick up some canned biscuits and make this for Sunday morning brunch! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Lisa...thank you for continuing to send prayers for Katie and her family.

      If you make the gravy, please let me know what you think. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the updated instructions. I was just getting ready to leave a question regarding how this worked with raw flour.

      Delete
    3. Hope it helps Lisa. The flour will still cook if you make it the other way, you just have to really whisk and cook it longer.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Thanks for letting everyone know about Katie! My prayers are going up for her and her family!

    I'm thinking about how I can use Stevia for this gravy!!! Yum! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Minelle...Katie appreciates all the prayers everyone is sending.

      Let me know how the gravy turns out for you and if your Scotsman likes it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. This recipe sounds awesome and unique! I must give it a try.

    Thanks for sharing! I am finally starting to follow your blog. It took me a while, but I'm enjoying the first few posts that I have read so far. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome CB...happy to have you come visit. Thank you for the lovely compliment. If you try the recipe, please let me know what you think. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. It really sounds yummy Cat. Maybe someday soon...

    Han

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Han...if you make it with a sugar substitute, it has a lot less calories. If you try it, please let me know how you and Wanita like it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Hi Cat, thank you so much for the update on Katie and her Dad. Continuing to send positive thoughts and prayers.

    Oh my, the recipe looks delish! I do remember you mentioning it before and hadn't heard of it until then. Definitely must try this!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Roz...thanks for joining in the continuing prayers.

      Hope you enjoy the gravy...you really do need to try it at least once so you can say you had it. ;) Try it...you might like it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Hi Cat, thanks for the update on Katie and her family.
    When I read the name of the recipe my tummy turned over but on reading it I may have a go and just not call it gravy, maybe hot choc sauce will sound better to me and serving it with some sort of sponge pudding...hmm that's the ticket, funny how a name can change things lol
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jan...happy to be able to pass on the news.

      It is funny how the name of something can change your response...many people love Mountain Oysters until they discover they are bull testicles. LOL Try my 'hot chocolate sauce' with sponge pudding or scone and let me know what you think. As I told Roz...try it...you might like it. A rose by any other name smells just as sweet. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. I'm not reading this recipe because I don't want to know. :-)

    Great news are Katie's dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sunny...you can make this for your grands...they will love it and you can just eat a small bit. Making it with Stevia rather than sugar really cuts calories also. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. Cat,

    Thanks so much for updating us on Katie and her family.

    Wont to try it and don't ant to:)

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Ronnie...happy to be able to pass on the news for her.

      Can't quite figure out if you want to try to gravy or don't want to try the gravy. If you like chocolate, you have to give it a try. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. I remember this recipe you shared - it is in my try soon list...since I am off sugar for the time being it will have to wait...but holidays are coming...and I am taking the holidays off... :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terps...you can make it with Stevia rather than sugar. ;) Let me know what you think when you make it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
    2. believe it or not I am not doing any sweetener at the moment...not just sugar...after a while will try to add back natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup (do you think you can make it with that?) :-) Or I could make it the traditional way for the kids - I just don't have the will power to do that yet... :-)

      Delete
    3. I do understand what you are doing by cutting all sweetener out Terps.

      When you get ready to add sweetener back in, you could try using 1/2 cup of honey to replace the cup of sugar. Don't think the maple syrup flavor would work well with the chocolate. I'm not real sure how it will impact the consistency but bet it will still taste good. ;) If you try this with the honey, please let me know how it works. If I get a chance to try it with the honey, I will let you know.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.