Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Request plus Pumpkin Soup

I received a phone call this afternoon that my SIL was in ICU at a local hospital…my brother took her to a clinic this morning since she had been fighting a cold and was complaining of chest tightness…he thought she had pneumonia.  Turns out she was having a heart attack. She was immediately taken and admitted to a local hospital where they have run multiple tests.  We do not have the results yet so we don't know how much if any damage there is to her heart.  I am asking for prayers, healing energy and/or positive thoughts for my SIL and brother (who is a basket case at the moment).  Thank you so much!

Here is another pumpkin recipe…a coworker shared it at a potluck luncheon quite a few years ago.  I have lost touch with her so I don’t know if this is her recipe or one she found or one she received.
 
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
  • 1 medium onion – diced
  • 1 clove garlic – minced
  • 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1 can (14 1/2 fluid ounces) low sodium chicken broth
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 (15 ounces) canned or or pureed pumpkin
  • 1 (12 fluid ounces) can evaporated milk
  • ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Instructions
  1. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add onion, garlic and sugar; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft.
  3. Add broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  4. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
  5. Stir in pumpkin, evaporated milk and pumpkin pie spice.
  6. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
  7. Remove from heat.
  8. Transfer mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary); process until smooth.
  9. Return to saucepan.
  10. Serve warm.
Notes
  • This is a super creamy recipe but you could skip the food processor/blender step and leave it a bit chunkier.
  • For those who don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make 8 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice of your own by mixing together the following:
    • 4 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
    • 4 Teaspoons ground nutmeg
    • 4 Teaspoons ground ginger
    • 3 Teaspoons ground allspice
    • Store any unused spice in an air tight container

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, as always, I would love any feedback you would care to give.

Hope you enjoy!

30 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us in the loop - I hope you all get some good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you PK...will post an update as soon as I know anything.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Prayers and healing thoughts are on their way for your SIL. Come winter...and unfortunately it is here, i make a soup dinner once a week. Would love any other soup recipe you have...will add this one to my try list.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Abby...I know the prayers and healing thoughts will help. I have posted a few other soup recipes...one of my favorites is Caribbean Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and another is Day After Turkey Soup. I have also posted several others. Click on the 'Recipes' label on the right and scroll through the recipes. Let me know if you have any questions. Will also see if I can put together some of my other soup recipes. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
    2. Thanks...i will do some scrolling tomorrow...hugs abby

      Delete
    3. Let me know if you need any help or if there is a specific ingredient you want to incorporate into soup...I collect cookbooks. ;) Hugs and blessings...Cat

      Delete
  3. Hugs to you and your brother and prayers and healing energy on their way for your SIL.

    This one sounds great, will be trying it as soon as it's a little cooler here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sunny...the hugs definitely help and I know the prayers and healing energy will help my SIL.

      It is an easy recipe...let me know if you have any questions.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Oh Cat I am sending lots of prayers of healing for your SIL and lots of prayers of comfort for you and your brother. Please keep us informed. Thank you for the recipe, this looks really good and easy! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa...I know that all the prayers and healing energy will definitely benefit her. Will post as soon as I have an update. Happy you enjoy the recipe...please let me know if you have any questions.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christina...I know they will definitely help her!

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. More prayers for sil and your family. How scary.

    I've read it is not uncommon for women to experience these symptoms, but often they are misconstrued as chest cold/flu. This was a good reminder for all of us to pay attention to ourselves and sell medical attention as your sil did, especially as we head into the cold and flu season.

    Hugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seek, of course, not sell medical attention.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Irishey..I have faith that all the prayers and healing energy and positive thoughts she is receiving are most definitely going to work.

      I agree, this is truly a wake-up call...we women need to take good care of ourselves and remember that the symptoms for a heart attack in women is different from that in men.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
    3. I knew what you meant...figured auto correct caught ya. ;)

      Delete
  7. Sorry to read about your Sister in Law. And brother as well of course, I understand completely about the basket case condition. I hope things will turn out well for your SIL, for all of you.

    You are in my thoughts,

    Han

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Han! All good thoughts are very much appreciated.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister in law Cat, sending positive thoughts and prayers to you all. Thank you for sharing the recipe, I love pumpkin soup and will have to try this.

    ((Hugs))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roz...I know the positive thoughts and prayers are really helping.

      Hope you enjoy the soup. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. Cat, I am so sorry about your sister in law and hope so much that you will have good news from her soon. I am glad that your brother took your sister in law to hospital to have her examined. Sending positive thoughts and energy your family's way.

    hugs

    Nina




    .... and thank you for the pumpkin recipe. We love pumpkin soup and are going to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nina...all the positive thoughts and energy and definitely making a difference! My brother is kicking himself for not taking her to be checked sooner...no matter how much we tell him he did the right thing. Men! *sigh*

      Hope you enjoy the soup...please let me know if you have any questions.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  10. Hi Cat, am thinking of you and your family, hope things improve soon
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jan...very much appreciated.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  11. Cat,

    Sorry to hear about your SIL. Sending love and positive thoughts.

    Thanks for the recipe, never tried pumpkin soup.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ronnie...I do believe all the love and positive thoughts are definitely helping her to heal.

      If you decide to try the recipe, please let me know what you think. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  12. Cat,
    Your family are in my prayers and thoughts.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Meredith...I really believe that all the prayers and positive thoughts that are being sent by my blogland family are really helping my SIL heal.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  13. Sending hugs and positive thoughts to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much DF...Very grateful for any and all positive thoughts and hugs!

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.