Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Old-timey Swear Words…

…that we should bring back.
Received the following in an email…have to admire the guy over at theChive for looking all of these up.

G. Rover Cripes<br />A sound-alike to Jesus Christ for those who didn’t want to use that name.
 
G. Rover Cripes
A sound-alike to Jesus Christ for those who didn’t want to use that name.





 
Consarn-it<br />Another way (that’s way more fun) to say “goddammit” popular in the old west.

Consarn-it
Another way (that’s way more fun) to say “goddammit” popular in the old west.





‘Snails<br />A shortening of “God’s Nails.”  
Snails
A shortening of “God’s Nails.”






By God’s Bones! <br />Similar to the previous one, but a little more serious.  
By God’s Bones!
Similar to the previous one, but a little more serious.










Sard<br />A medieval f-word.
 
 


Sard
A medieval f-word.






Heavens to Betsy<br />We’re not sure who Betsy is, but she sure heard a lot of ‘50s housewives’ frustrations.  
Heavens to Betsy
We’re not sure who Betsy is, but she sure heard a lot of ‘50s housewives’ frustrations.




Dad-Sizzle<br />Part of the family that brought you “Dadgummit,” it was one of the more serious curses of the time.
 

Dad-Sizzle
Part of the family that brought you “Dadgummit,” it was one of the more serious curses of the time.


Trollop<br />A 16th-century term for a prostitute.
 
Trollop
A 16th-century term for a prostitute.






 Gadzooks<br />More fun to say than any curse we have today.
Gadzooks
More fun to say than any curse we have today.



Shiver Me Timbers<br />Not just for pirates anymore.
 
 

Shiver Me Timbers
Not just for pirates anymore.
 
 
 



Courtesy of  theChive


How many of these did you know?
How many have you actually heard used?
How many have you used?
Are there others you can think to add to these?   Smile

22 comments:

  1. Didn't know very many of them, but shut the front door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sunny...good one. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. I have not heard the word trollop in forever. Love that word,,,the way it roll off your tongue..it is a fun word. Many of these i did not know they were swear words....Gadzooks...another fun word..interesting post...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Abby...Trollop is one of my favorites. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. "Oh for Pete's sake!!" - was my mom's favorite expression back in the day.
    :) Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Cali...that was one of my mom's favorites also...always wondered who Pete was. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. I have heard all of these except sard!
    Good one Cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Minelle...I hadn't heard sard either. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Learning something new every day here, Cat!

    Fun post,
    Han

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of service Han. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Love these Cat, especially Gadzooks, may have to use that lol. Didn't know too many. Another fun post. Thanks for sharing :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it Roz...have only heard gadzooks used in older movies but just love how it sounds. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. Hi Cat, I only knew trollops, so I learned something, but I better never use the others, because hubby might soap my mouth out if I did. :)

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Nina...don't take chances with soap! Of course, if your husband doesn't realize they used to be swear words, then...no problem! :D

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. I knew a few of them, but I love the word Trollop. I knew what it meant, but I just love saying the word. It's one of those you never get tired of, and so much nicer than whore or tart. I also know quite a few European swearwords, but there is no way I would mention them here. (See my halo?)

    Hugs
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLMBO Ami! Halo? Funny woman...you can always email me the European swearwords along with their meanings...I'll post them and it won't shake MY halo at all. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. Hi Cat, I have used " trollop" !!
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun word isn't it Jan. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  10. Stone of a peach I love those. Since I get punished for the common cuss words I get creative.
    Male bovine poop is a favorite

    A round with the paddle for using forbidden words is past due. I think Dragon is just waiting for a warm day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to get creative with my cursing when I had the boys...little stinkers...that's where I came up with son of a biscuit eater, son of a bunny rabbit and many others. I have also used stone of a peach but never male bovine poop...will have to try that one.

      Hope you and Dragon get some time in the garage but hope it's play rather than pay.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  11. LOL! I think that my mom said "heavens to Betsy" a few times back in the day. These were fun to read, Cat! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Katie T! My grandmother used to say "Gott im Himmel" quite a bit...she got that from her mother. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete