Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Update on EsMay plus My Crunchy Chicken Salad

I received the following message from EsMay approximately 30 minutes ago.
The storm has been going on since about noon, and it’s after supper now.  The winds are quite strong right now, and really buffeting the building.  We have been having complete white outs for hours, but still have power.  They downgraded the expected wind from 150km an hour to over 100km an hour, but didn’t say how much over.  I don’t see us keeping the power much longer as the winds intensify, but who knows. we're going to check on a few things, the winds are actually getting more,severe than we expected, so prayers would be welcome too

A plow just went by, we could see him coming up to drive by the front window, then all the sudden he disappeared in a whirl wind of snow right in front of our eyes, and came through once the whirl wind passed him.  It literally looked like he was eaten up for a minute.  Anyway, the windows are really rattling, so prayers are so welcome.  Got to go see if we need to take care of anything. :(

Now on to regularly scheduled programming...LOL
I was talking on the phone with a friend of mine while I was making my chicken salad yesterday which she loves.  Since she now lives on the other end of the state, we can’t meet for and share lunch as we did when we were in the same city.  She asked if I would write out the instructions and send them to her…which I did.  Thought some of you in blogland would enjoy it also.
 
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups cooked chicken
  • 4 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 medium apple, diced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper
  • ½ cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • ¾ cup mayonnaise
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • ½ cup walnuts, chopped
  • Crispy bacon, 2 pieces for each serving

Directions:
1. Skin and debone chicken and shred or dice into large bowl.
2. Mix in celery, onion and apples.
3. Mix in garlic powder, pepper, pickle relish and mustard.
4. Mix in mayonnaise…start with ½ cup and then use enough to bind well.
5. Mix in walnuts.
6. Chill immediately.

Notes:
  • I usually serve this one of three ways:
- On bread for a sandwich…with two pieces of bacon…don’t need anything additional
- In a cored-out tomato…crumble one or two pieces of bacon over the top
- On a bed of lettuce… crumble one or two pieces of bacon over the top
  • I used a roasted chicken I had bought at the grocery store but you can use roasted, boiled, baked, whatever you have.
  • I have not ‘measured’ any of the ingredients…these are guesses so I would suggest you err on the side less as you can always add more.
  • The sweet relish I used is my homemade relish which is not as sweet as store-bought so you might want to consider using less relish or possibly using bread and butter pickles. Not sure that dill pickle relish will work well with the apples and walnuts.
  • I used Gala apples as that is what I had in the house but you can use your favorite.
  • You could definitely add chopped hard boiled eggs to this if you would like.
  • Of course, you can add and/or omit any ingredients you choose! LOL
 
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you try the recipe, as always, I would love any feedback you would care to give. 
 
I know that in addition to EsMay and the Duke, we have other blog land family who are dealing with this latest storm so please send prayers, positive energy, good thoughts, etc. for all those impacted.

18 comments:

  1. Definitely got EsMay & the Duke in my prayers - Thanks Cat. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Cali...as you know, they came through in good shape so our prayers worked!

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Keeping EsMay in my prayers...and all others in the storm zone. I love chicken salad....yours sounds soooo good....on my have to try list.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EsMay and the Duke are in good shape and hope all the others are also. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the chicken salad. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness. Thanks for the update. Will keep them in my prayers.

    And thanks for that recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prayers worked Sarah!

      Hope you enjoy the recipe. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Keeping EsMay and others in my prayers. Mother Nature is really kicking up her heels this year.

    Chicken salad sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, the prayers worked!

      It really is easy and not that many steps...hint, hint. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the update Cat, keeping Es May, the Duke and other affected by this terrible storm in my thoughts and prayers.

    Thank you for the recipe too. Sounds positively yummy!

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know Roz, the prayers definitely worked!

      If you try the recipe, hope you enjoy it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, we are keeping Esmay and others bothered by this storm in our thoughts
    love Jan and John,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jan and John...I do believe all those prayers helped keep them safe!

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. I will be keeping everyone impacted by the storm in my thoughts. Looking forward to trying the chicken salad recipe :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terps...as you know, they came through in good shape.

      Hope you enjoy the recipe!

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. Keeping Esmay and others in my thoughts.

    Chicken salad sounds wonderful, Thanks.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ronnie...I know that EsMay and the Duke were kept safe...haven't heard that any others had trouble...so hope they are all safe!

      If you try the chicken salad, hope you enjoy it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. Keeping her and everyone that direction in my prayers too!
    I wonder if I can use almonds? That is what I have.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Minelle...the power of prayer kept them safe!

      Don't really think almonds would work well...they are a harder nut. The walnuts give a nice crunch but the almonds would be more like biting into a seed...at least that's my opinion. If you don't have walnuts, would actually leave nuts out.

      Let me know if you have any questions.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.