Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Colcannon

Every family seems to have their version of Colcannon and swears it is the best.  Here is my grandpa’s version passed down through his family.  

 

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (I use Yukon gold)
  • 8 slices bacon
  • ½ to 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 chopped leek
  • 1 medium onion, chopped  
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 cups shredded green cabbage
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup hot milk
  • 1/8 tsp. black pepper
  • Salt to taste – remember bacon is salty

 

 Preparation:

  1. Place potatoes in saucepan, cover with cold water, place on high heat and bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender but not mushy.
  3. While potatoes are cooking, fry bacon until crispy.
  4. Drain bacon on paper towels and crumble.
  5. Add olive oil to bacon drippings (begin with ½ teaspoon) add onion, garlic, and leeks and cook on medium heat until crisp tender, about 3-5 minutes.
  6. Add cabbage, cover, and cook for 6-10 minutes until cabbage is tender. If necessary add remaining olive oil.
  7. When potatoes are cooked, drain and return potatoes to pot; add butter, milk, salt and pepper; mash until combined.
  8. Stir in bacon and cabbage mixture.
  9. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • This is best served hot so if you have to hold it, place it in an oven-safe dish and keep warm in 200 degree oven. Will keep for about an hour.
  • If you are using as a side dish, this should serve 6-8.
  • If you are using as a main dish, this should serve 4 but I always had to double it with my boys…hollow legs, ya know. LOL
  • For vegetarians, omit the bacon and increase the oil.
  • Leftovers can be warmed in a skillet and browned for a different texture. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, I would love any feedback you would care to give.
 
Hope you enjoy!
 


20 comments:

  1. Sounds very similar to the one my gran gave to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably is Sunny if she's from Ireland or Scotland. ;)

      Delete
  2. Never had this, but it sounds delish....now if I were not avoiding carbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Minelle - you could serve it as a side with broiled fish or chicken. Your body does need a few carbs ya know. ;)

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of colcannon... But Ty (isn't it nice that he finally has a name?) loves potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Blondie - it is lovely that he finally has a name. If he loves potatoes and cabbage, he will probably love this. ;)

      Delete
  4. Sounds so delish! I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it Zoe, let me know what you think. ;)

      Delete
  5. I learned to make Colcannon from my dear, sweet MIL and I never measure anything, but make it for my husband once in a while. I always make it when the kids are home. They like it with lots of cabbage. My MIL never had a leek in her recipe (I suppose she likely didn't have access to leeks), but lots of onion. Her recipe also called for cream, if ya had it, but I never do, unless I pick it up specifically for the recipe - otherwise, Cat it looks about the same.
    Wonderful, stick to your ribs, comfort dish...
    I am going to get busy and make it - now that you have put a bee in me bonnet.
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa and I never measured either Lillie. But then one of my cousins wanted the recipe recently so I had to measure in order to share it. Every Colcannon recipe seems to have the same basics but a tad bit different. Thanks for reminding me, I should have added to the notes that if you don't have leeks, just add more onions. Will update it.

      Happy to put a bee in your bonnet, hope you enjoy. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  6. I had never heard of Colcannon either. I love potatoes, especially mashed so it's a must try for me. Thanks for sharing this Cat

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Roz. If you make it, let me know what you think. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  7. What a trip down memory lane! My very Scottish nana used to make this and learned it from her very Irish husband. Of course she never measured anything and I could never repeat it. I'll get a cabbage and give it a try. I'd love to be able to make it taste just like what she used to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandpa's family was originally from Scotland before his branch moved to Ireland and then on to the US. We never measured either but as I told Lillie, one of my cousins wanted the recipe so I had to make and measure as I went. LOL

      I would say to start with this basic recipe and then start modifying to get it just he she used to make it. Good luck, please let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
    2. Cat...can I use Kale instead of cabbage?

      Delete
    3. Hey Susie - I have used 1/2 kale 1/2 cabbage before so I don't see why you couldn't all kale if you'd rather. Kale does take longer to cook so you will have to adjust your cooking times but it should work.
      Let me know how it turns out if you make it.

      Delete
  8. YUMMO! Oh, Ward.....guess what's for dinner?! Thanks for sharing your heirloom recipes with us, Cat. It's so generous and sweet!

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome June. I hope you, Ward and the boys enjoy it.

      Hugs and Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  9. I've never had this dish or even heard of it before. Thanks for sharing though! I'll have to see if Michael is interested in trying it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you and Micheal decide to try it Grace, you'll have to let me know what y'all thought. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.