Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

I Rescued a Human Today

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels.  I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.
 
I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn’t be afraid.  As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage.  I didn’t want her to know that I hadn’t been walked today.  Sometimes the overworked shelter keepers get too busy and I didn’t want her to think poorly of them.
 
As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn’t feel sad about my past.  I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone’s life.
 
She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.  I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.  Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.  A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.
 
Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.

I would promise to keep her safe.

I would promise to always be by her side.

I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.  So many more are out there who haven’t walked the corridors.  So many more to be saved.  At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

by Janine Allen
Courtesy of Rescue Me Dog

Written by Janine Allen CPDT, Rescue Me Dog's professional dog trainer. Janine's passion is working with people and their dogs. She provides demonstrations for those who have adopted shelter dogs, lends email support to adopted dog owners that need information beyond our Training Support Pages, and aids shelter staff and volunteers in understanding dog behavior to increase their adoptability. Copyright 2015 Rescue Me Dog; www.rescuemedog.org

So beautiful and touching…just had to share.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know Minelle...I cry every time I read it.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes, so beautiful. Thank you for sharing Cat.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Roz...Happy you enjoyed it.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Jan...happy you enjoyed it.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Cat - very trimely post for me. Today is two years since our sweet kitty crossed the rainbow bridge, he was not a shelter kitty but adopted from a litter. But next month marks the 20th anniversary of losing our shelter doggie - she was a wonder and we think of her still. She was our Sunny Girl and she brought sunshine into our lives every day of the 16 years she shared with us.Getting teary-eyed.
    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memories of our fur babies who have crossed over are so bittersweet aren't they Sunny.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. We have gotten some of our most amazing pets from a shelter. This was a beautiful story and made me seek out my fur babies for some kisses and cuddles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Alyssa...Most of my fur babies have been rescued from either a shelter or someone who didn't want them and they have all been awesome.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post, Cat. We won't have a pet this year, although I'd have loved a dog that would grow into something really huge, one that protects the family, because we had a situation last year while hubby was gone and I really could have used some help from a big dog then. Very probably next year though. :) Within the family we have always had pets from a shelter and they have all been awesome (most of them dogs). ... And they always are there to rescue a human. This is such a wonderfully touching text and if anything I hope that people are more responsible with their animals.
    We are not far away from the major motorway up to Denmark and we had two cases when we had called the police because somebody had put a doggy out there and left, and after Christmas, Easter and the at the beginning of the summer holidays we always have some reports in the news. Horrible. The poor animals deserve better than that. Thank you for the wonderful entry, and sorry for my rambling.

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies needed Nina...you were simply sharing your thoughts not rambling. I live in the country and am so tired of people driving out here and dumping there pets off when they no longer want to care for them. It's heartbreaking. I hope you are able to get a new fur baby soon so that Tilda will have a best friend to grow up with. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. Cat you really need to put up a Kleenex warning when you put something like this out there. This was so beautiful!

    Hugs,
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that Clara! I've also been told I need to put no drink/food warnings at the top of some post also. ;) Happy you enjoyed this.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.