Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Monday, March 16, 2015

When Insults Had Class

These outstanding insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to four letter words:
 
A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."
"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."
 
"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr
 
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill
 
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
 
"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).
 
"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas
 
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain
 
"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." - Oscar Wilde
 
"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
 "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second...if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.
 
"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop
 
"He is a self-made man and worships his creator."- John Bright
 
"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb
 
"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others." –Samuel Johnson
 
"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up."- Paul Keating
 
"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand
 
"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him."- Forrest Tucker
 
"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain
 
"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West
 
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde
 
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination."- Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
 
"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder
 
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

18 comments:

  1. Classy! Such a great way to put someone in their place! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Minelle...I do love these. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Sounds very southern. I can insult people and be thanked for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Rose...I can also...isn't that great! :D

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Oh these are so funny. My favorite is Groucho Mars's. Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Lisa. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Some of these are very clever. Love Winston Churchill!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Roz...and Churchill was a master at word games wasn't he. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Hi Cat, I loved them all, and many are so sort of nice-nasty that nobody would be spanked either. :) Thank you for the good laugh!

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Nina...guess you'll need to memorize a few of these...happy you enjoyed them. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed them PK...might want to consider a few for some of the parents and administrative types you have to deal with. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. The wit of yesteryear - I especially like the delusions of adequacy, my husband quotes that one a lot about his work colleagues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right DF...when they really knew how to insult someone! I have several co-workers I could use that particular quote on also. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. Since i have been known the carry the title..Queen of sarcasm...i love these,
    hugs abbt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you were my kind of people Abby! I love each and every one of these. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed them Sunny. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.