Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Which Are You?

[This beautiful story has been circulating on Facebook. Unfortunately we cannot trace who wrote such a touching and insightful piece. Nevertheless, we are sharing it to those of who have not read it yet.]
Grandmother Says…
Carrots, Eggs, or Coffee; “Which are you?”

clip_image001
 
A young woman went to her grandmother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her.  She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling.  It seemed as one problem was solved a new one arose.
 
Her grandmother took her to the kitchen.  She filled three pots with water.  In the first, she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs and the last she placed ground coffee beans.  She let them sit and boil without saying a word.
 
In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners.  She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl.  She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.  Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.  Turning to her granddaughter, she asked, “Tell me what do you see?”
 
“Carrots, eggs, and coffee,” she replied.
 
She brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots.  She did and noted that they got soft.She then asked her to take an egg and break it.
 
After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg.
 
Finally, she asked her to sip the coffee.  The granddaughter smiled, as she tasted its rich aroma.  The granddaughter then asked. “What’s the point, grandmother?”
 
Her grandmother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity–boiling water–but each reacted differently.
 
The carrot went in strong, hard and unrelenting.  However after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.  The egg had been fragile.  Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior.  But, after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.
 
The ground coffee beans were unique, however.  After they were in the boiling water they had changed the water.
 
“Which are you?” she asked her granddaughter.
 
“When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond?  Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?”
 
Think of this: Which am I?
 
Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity, do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?
 
Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat?  Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and a hardened heart?
 
Or am I like the coffee bean?  The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain.  When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor.  If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.
 
When the hours are the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate to another level?
 
--Author Unknown


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome Sunny...I agree with you.

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Hi Cat, this is a wonderful story and a lot food for thought. :) Pun intended. I am probably more of a carrot for the bigger part :( , but I don’t think I have become hardened and bitter. It is something that creates unhappiness in people and that’s when change is needed and much better, instead of getting a hardened heart, I think. And I always hope that some of my friends or family say I am a bit like the coffee. Not because I love coffee (which I do), only because changing things to the better for others is very beautiful.

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it Nina...from what I've seen so far, I think you are more like the coffee bean. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. This is awesome Cat, made me think, love to say I'm like the coffee, but I'm probably more like the carrot. Thank you for sharing.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it Roz...you might be a bit like the carrot but think you are at least partially like the coffee bean. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Hi Cat, I think most of us are a combination of all three , much as we would all like to be that coffee bean
    love Jan,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jan...and I think that combination shifts as we grow wiser. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. I have read this one before...but it is one of those that never gets old....and should be re-read. I agree with Jan, depending on the problems and where we are in life, I think most of us are a combination of the three.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much agree with Jan and you Abby...definitely depends on the problems and our life experiences. ;)

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. I have never seen this before, what an interesting aspect the author has on this, and I have never thought about about how the same action can have so many different outcomes. Very interesting. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to give you food for thought Julia...I really believe that much of which we are at any given moment depends on the situation, our life experiences and just how important the particular issue is to us.

      Hugs and blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.