Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The World's Weirdest Fitness Tips & Tricks

We've all chatted about exercising, losing weight, toning up, etc.  I recently received the following article from a friend…not sure how true any of this is but it is interesting, some of it makes no sense to me and some of it is just pure D funny! 

Let me know what you think!

Clothes Make the (Wo)Man Red can increase blood circulation and body temperature, upping the ante on your workout. The science behind it? Red affects the hypothalamus, a part of the brain that regulates body temperature, appetite and energy levels. Reds, as well as oranges, can help get your brain into the zone. Who knew your outfit could get you a better and longer workout?  

Take a Picture of What You Eat Do a quick photo shoot of everything you eat. (And we mean everything.) Even if nobody else sees it, this will get you eating less and higher quality in no time. Be proud of what you put in your body, and the pounds melt away much faster.   

Keep Your Hands Cold “Cold hands, warm heart,” ...slim waistline? Perhaps. Holding a hand-cooling device (such as an ice pack or water bottle) can help you exercise longer. A Stanford study suggests doing this reduces your body temperature and helps you stay comfortable while saving energy for your workout.  

Ellipticals Suck Not only is it arguably the most boring exercise machine, the elliptical is also one of the least effective. It uses momentum instead of muscle force, cheating you out of a harder workout. Although it increases your heart rate, you don’t reach one required to burn fat unless you exercise for 45-60 minutes and vary your intensity and resistance. It can be useful for warming up or rehab, but other than that it’s a time-drain. A good basic rule is: if you can watch TV while you’re doing it, you’re not burning fat.  

Bonding Doesn’t Burn Calories Working out with friends can be a good support system to get you to the gym. But it can backfire too. Many exercisers tend to talk more and slow down, lowering the intensity of their workout. Plus, you can’t break into a sprint in the middle of your conversation!

To avoid this, get to the gym with friends to increase motivation and punctuality, but save the chatter for the locker room.

Drink WHAT?! Drinking pickle juice can help you regain precious sodium lost in a workout. Sodium deficiency can increase cramping. This is great for intense activity in hot weather. If you don’t feel nauseous, drink a few ounces after exercising to speed up recovery.  

If You Like Piña Coladas Pineapple juice can help ease recovery post-workout. Pineapple contains bromelaine, an enzyme that removes lactic acid, the stuff that makes muscles sore and inflamed after working out. Plus the sugar helps you feed your body without refined sugary drinks. Try six to eight ounces 30 minutes after training. You can also get bromelaine in capsule form at the drug or health store.  

Sweat ≠ Working Like A Turbo Jet Sweat is part of homeostasis, or the function that allows your body to regulate itself despite changing environments. Perspiration increases in hot temperatures and intense activity, but you’re actually sweating all the time. It’s not a clear sign that you are burning any calories, however. For instance, sweating in a sauna does not mean you burned more calories than running in cold weather. So quit checking out your pit stains and focus on your heart rate monitor. An elevated heart rate and is the only real indication you’re burning fat!  

This Isn’t A Library Try putting your hands on your stomach while saying “shhh.” Feel the contraction? That is the ab muscles and diaphragm tightening, forcing you to engage your core while breathing, and helping you get more out of each rep (repetition). The louder you shush, the better. It’s great for core exercises like squats, push-ups, and Pilates, and it also helps reverse the negative effects of stress, sitting all day and poor posture. This little trick can help increase strength, improve the spread of oxygen in the body, and strengthen the core.  

You’re Too Young For a Hump! Don’t just spot tone the muscles you can see - there’s more to a good figure than pecs, abs, glutes and quads. Your upper back is a crucial area to tone, both for physical appearance and comfort. Neglecting this zone gives you a clear “hump” caused by forward-rounded shoulders and a forward leaning neck. Not only do you end up looking like a slouch, but you are also vulnerable to neck and shoulder pain.

To reverse this trend, stretch chest muscles and do exercises that force you to retract the neck and shoulders. Good examples are rows, front lat pull-downs, and upward dumbbell flys. Don’t forget to stick your chest out while doing them, too!
 
Courtesy of likes.com

24 comments:

  1. I'm going to print this out and take it to my fitness instructor to see what he says. Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be happy to hear what your fitness instructor has to say Lisa.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. I think most of this is true, if not all. I'm sad about the elliptical, though. That is my favorite gym machine because I *can* watch TV! I only do it in the winter though--I run outside any other time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running is good! Cold hands, Warm heart.
      Warm house, Cold winter. TV on, sounds good to me as well :-)

      Han

      Delete
    2. Hey Autumn...I'm not sure that the information regarding the elliptical is true...I think anything that works your muscles and works up a sweat is good for you. Think about it...you have to watch where you're going when you're running. LOL I watch TV while I ride my exercycle...not allowed to run.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
    3. If you're allowed to run Han...running is very good for you but if you can't run, walking is good also. ;)

      Delete
    4. OMG, Thank you, Thank you! I already got tired with the idea of running. Seriously, my wife and I walk a bit every night (Weight Watchers remember?) and we both like it. So we'll keep that one in for a while I think.

      Delete
    5. You're very welcome Han...the whole thing is to get moving a raise your heart rate. You are doing great and I'm sure you will continue.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Nice post Cat! Some of the things "are not proven by science", but most appeal to common sense. Besides any reason to excercise is good, right.

    Useful post,
    Han

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Han...you're right...any reason to exercise is good as long as it's within reason. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. Interesting Cat. Pickle juice and wearing red??

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Roz...even if pickle juice works, I couldn't handle it. LOL Haven't a clue as to how a color on your body can make a difference. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. I also think that most of these are correct, Cuz T! :) They make sense in some weird way. Though I don't think that I will try the pickle juice thing. I LOVE pickles but it ends there!

    I recently read something about the elliptical as well. Said the same thing. I tend to use the treadmill anyway. I never got a lot of satisfaction out of the elliptical. Thanks for sharing! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them make sense Katie T but some...just can't wrap my head around. And like I told Roz...even if pickle juice works, not happenin'! I do love pickles but drinking pickle juice? bleh

      I can't run due to a knee that likes to pop out of socket...can we say ouch! When I had my shoulder issue last year, I spoke with my therapist about what to use for exercise since I couldn't run the stairs...he said that either a treadmill or exercycle were the best for my knee....since I don't have room for a treadmill, I got an exercycle. Just one thing...he had me get one that had the seat with the back support. I enjoy working out on it.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm. I'll pass on the pickle juice. In my house we have a fitness hour. The kids run and I walk. I am doing better. At the beginning of summer I could barley walk a quarter mile. Now I am walking a full mile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Rose...I'm with you on the pickle juice. Way to go on the walking! Congrats! I'm sure you will continue to do better.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. You're welcome Sunny...they are interesting. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. Cat,

    Interesting but drinking pickle juice, no thanks.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Ronnie...no drinking pickle juice seems to be the consensus. ;) These are interesting aren't they. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. Nice tips! Just fyi, homemade fermented pickle juice offers many more benefits than commercial kind, and the pinhole has to be fresh, not canned our pasteurized, as this kills enzymes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River...I can understand how homemade pickle juice can offer more benefits than commercial...I make my own homemade pickle relish which is so much better than the store bough stuff. I'm assuming that you were a victim of autocorrect and that pinhole equals pineapple...gotta love autocorrect. Fresh pineapple is best and tastes great! :D

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  10. My thought is if walking with friends gets you out exercising at all then do it...it may be slower as you chat...but not as slow as if you stayed home sitting on your behind because you could not get the motivation to go out on your own. Just my two cents :-) I think I will pass on the pickle juice. :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Terps...anything that gets you up off your tushie is good and I will definitely pass on the pickle juice. I do like my homemade pickle relish and my youngest granddaughter will just grab a spoon and eat it straight out of the jar! ;) Of course, it's not dill.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.