Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Farm Kid Joins the Marines

Dear Ma and Pa,
I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile.  Tell them to join up quick before all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you get to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m.  But I am getting so I like to sleep late.  Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot, and shine some things.  No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay.  Practically nothing.

Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water.

Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee.  Their food, plus yours, holds you until noon when you get fed again.

It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.  We go on "route marches," which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us.  If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different.  A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home.  Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot. The Captain is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next one will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing.  I keep getting medals for shooting.  I don't know why.  The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home.  All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it.  You don't even load your own cartridges.  They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training.  You get to wrestle with them city boys.  I have to be real careful though, they break real easy.  It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home.  I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake.  I only beat him once.  He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6" and 130 pounds and he's 6'8" and near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,
Alice

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Gotcha Minelle! ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. LOL Cat! I am with Minelle, I never saw that one coming! Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha Lisa...happy you enjoyed it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Awesome!! I work on a farm, and let me tell you, farmers are the hardest working people I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Autumn...my grandparents and great-grandparents were farmers...spent quite a bit of time as a little girl on their farms.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. ROFLMAO, love it! Never saw that coming either. Thanks Cat :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha Roz! Happy you enjoyed it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh Cat! I nearly spilled my coffee when I got to the end.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Rosie! Oh and in case you haven't figured it out...no food or drinks when visiting here...can end up spitting, choking and/or spilling. LOL

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. WHAT?????


    Wow, Cat. ...still giggling...

    Thank you, Cat, just what I needed this morning.

    Hugs,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it and this is what you needed this morning ML. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. Cat,

    I love stopping by here. Made me laugh. Wasn't expecting that. Thanks.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love having you visit Ronnie...so happy you enjoyed it and that I'm able to say "Gotcha!"

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. LOLOL Cuz!!! :) Thanks for the great morning laugh! Yeah... you got me on another one! Loved it! Many hugs,

    <3 Cuz KTfT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha Katie! So happy to help you with a morning giggle. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. Oh Cat, how unexpected!! lol
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha Jan! So happy you enjoyed it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  10. Never expected this. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Gotcha Sunny! So happy you enjoyed it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  11. Cat, I loved this one, and I did not see that coming ... again! Thank you for the good laugh.

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo Gotcha Nina...seems as if I got nearly everyone today! So happy you enjoyed it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.