Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Cat’s Lemonade

Haven’t shared a recipe for a while.  While I was speaking with a friend today, I suggested she make some lemonade and we started talking about how to make it.  
 
 
Okay…I can hear y’all right now saying “Cat’s gonna give us a recipe for lemonade?  Right…like we really need one…Sheesh…mix lemon juice, sugar and water…what’s the big deal! “  LOL
 
MP900341747[1]

Well, I’ll tell ya…the secret to my lemonade recipe is to use cooled simple syrup. This allows the sugar to completely dissolve and blends beautifully with the lemon juice.
 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup lemon juice (approx. 8 medium lemons )
  • 4 cups cold water
 
Instructions for Simple Syrup:
1.Mix 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of water in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil and stir frequently until sugar is completely dissolved. 
3. Pour into small jar or pitcher and refrigerate.
 

Instructions for Lemonade:
MP900423110[1]
1. Squeeze lemons to make 1 cup of juice.
2. Pour into pitcher.
3. Add the simple syrup and stir well.
4. Add  4 cups of cold water, stir well and chill.
5. Pour over ice and enjoy!
 

Notes:
  • For tarter lemonade, start with 1/2 cup of sugar for the simple syrup.
  • For sweeter lemonade, start with 1 1/2 cups of sugar for the simple syrup.
  • Once the lemonade is made, you can always adjust it by adding more lemon juice to make it tarter or more simple syrup to make it sweeter.
  • I have substituted Splenda, cup for cup, for a sugar-free version.  I have not tried with other sweeteners but am assuming they would work also. 
  • You can use this same recipe and use limes to make limeade…will probably take approximately a dozen limes unless they are unusually big.
MP900387874[1]
  • You can substitute sparkling water for the 4 cups of cold water for a bit of fizzy fun. Winking smile
  • Before squeezing the lemons or limes, roll them on the cutting board, applying pressure with the heel of your hand. This will make it easier to get the juice out.
 
Special Note:
  • For a special treat, you can puree strawberries with a bit of sugar (1 pint of strawberries/2 teaspoons sugar) and then stir 2 – 3 tablespoons of the puree into a glass of lemonade or limeade.
  • Do this per glass…do not mix a whole batch unless you plan to finish it immediately.
  • You can also add a shot of vodka for an extra special treat!  LOL

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LOL Sunny...thought a few people would like that. Sitting here enjoying a glass of lemonade with a bit of the special note. ;) Oh and note...it's less than 5 and 5! :D

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. This friend sure appreciates this recipe! I like the bonus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Minelle...please let me know if you have any questions. As I told Sunny...am enjoying a glass of lemonade with a bit of the special note as I answer posts...my fingers are getting tipsy so guess I'm gonna shut down. LOL

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Wow Cat this is so timely, I just bought a huge bag of lemons today. I only needed two but they didn't have any individual ones for sale. I was wondering what I was going to do with the rest of them. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Anon...hope you enjoy. ;)

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. I have lurked on your blog for a while and really enjoy it. I just went back and read through all your recipes and I think I will just come move in with you! I love the recipes so you have got to be a great cook, at least much better than me! I am good at cleaning house. LOL Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Gina...As much as it would be lovely to have someone clean my house, I think we will just have to stick with me sharing recipes but feel free to email me if you have any questions on how to make something. Oh and feel free to share any tips for making housework easier! :D

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. hmm, I might have to post my lemonade recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Renee...looked like you posted it but when I clicked on the link, it told me it didn't exist. Oh and I did update my notes above to reflect that this can easily be made sugar-free if that is what you were concerned about. Hope you are feeling better...sending prayers and healing energy.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Thank you Cat. I'm with Sunny, you got me with the second note :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Roz...I 'get' a lot of people with that second note! Mix the strawberry puree with the lemonade and then add the vodka...super yummy!!!! :D

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hope you try it Rose. I just updated it to include the note that you can make it sugar-free using Splenda if you want to keep sugar intake down.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  8. I mix mine with Sprite too. Yum!

    For the lazy amongst us - for my sweet tea and lemonade, I measure the sugar in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Add water until about an inch or two above the sugar line. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Sometimes there's a little sugar left but it dissolves quickly when you stir it. No need to babysit the pot so when you remember it an hour later you don't find your syrup all over the stovetop. Not that I'd know anything about that problem lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Chickie...not sure if I could handle my lemonade mixed with Sprite...think it would be too sweet for me...of course, I like my lemonade a bit more tart than sweet. ;)

      Since I've been cooking long before microwaves came around, I've always made simple syrup on the stove so have never walked off while it is on the burner.

      Thanks for sharing the Sprite and microwave tips...whenever I look at a recipe, my brain starts revising it. LOL

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  9. I love fresh lemonade and this recipe simple and yummy! I am trying to cut back on sugar, would it recipe work with a non-sugar sweetener? Thx Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lisa...I totally forgot to add the note regarding sugar-free but thanks to you, I have now updated the notes. Yes, I have made the simple syrup using Splenda and it dissolves almost as well as sugar. If you haven't worked with Splenda before, just note that you have to be a bit careful when adding it to anything since it is so powdery.

      Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

      Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. If you try it Terps, I hope you enjoy it. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  11. Mmmm. I love a cool glass of lemonade on hot summer days.

    You can also heat lemons in the microwave until they're warm to touch for more juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do also Dana. Ooh, I hadn't heard of heating lemons for more juice! Of course, with my luck, I would blow them up in the microwave. LOL

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.