- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and water in heavy saucepan. Cook to hard ball stage (260 F / 127 C ) stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- While beating at high speed, gradually stream syrup over egg whites.
- Add vanilla and beat until candy holds its shape (4-5 minutes).
- Quickly drop from teaspoon onto waxed or parchment paper.
- Makes about 48 pieces – depending on size.
- When the syrup mixture gets to approximately 200 F, start beating the egg whites otherwise, they lose the best form
- Adding the syrup to the egg whites causes them the expand to about 5 times their bulk so make sure you are beating them in a large deep bowl (I use a 5 quart bowl)
- When I say quickly, I do mean quickly…these set up super fast
- Make sure all children and pets are away from the kitchen before starting as this syrup can cause severe burns.
- This is one of those recipes that you cannot interrupt…once you start, you must keep going.
- DO NOT try to make this on rainy, high humidity or overcast days…it will not set up properly. I thought this was an old wives tale…Hahaha…learned the hard way.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. As always, if you try the recipe, I would love any feedback you would care to give.
Hope you enjoy!