Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Spicy Mango Salad and Quick Update

Hey y’all. 

Mom is getting better and hopefully will be released from all her restrictions within the next two weeks! Yea!!!  Doing my happy dance here…thanks for all your prayers and healing energy!!!

My arm is getting worse to the point where I can only type with one hand.  After working all day, on a keyboard Sad smile,  it’s just too much to comment on very many blogs. 
I am reading quite a few of you but not commenting much…especially if I think I might to get long-winded...oh hush...I'm not as bad as some I could name! LOL  If you really want my opinion on a post (*snort*...*cough*...ROFLMBO) email me and I will come comment.

I also know I still owe a lot of responses to email and comments on my blog…I will get caught up eventually. Yes I will...I'm moving slow but will get it done!

Meanwhile, I haven’t shared any recipes for a while so here’s one of my favorite salads. It does have cilantro and red pepper flakes in it...surprised?  LOL

Spicy Mango Salad

Makes about 4 servings…I figure 1 mango per person.

Ingredients

  • 4 medium mangos
  • 2 medium red onions
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

 

Directions:

  1. Peel and seed mangos then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
  2. Thinly slice onions then cut the stack of slices in half (to create half moons).
  3. Roughly chop cilantro.
  4. Toss onions and cilantro with mango cubes in serving bowl.
  5. Mix vinegar, lime juice and olive oil until well-blended.
  6. Add red pepper flakes and sugar mixing until sugar is well dissolved.
  7. Pour over mangos, onions and cilantro; stir to coat well.
  8. Salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Cover and refrigerate for approximately an hour to blend the flavors before serving.

 

Notes:

  • A super ‘quickie’ version is to mix mangos, onions, cilantro, red pepper flakes, sugar, salt and pepper.
  • I usually just put the ‘dressing’ in a jar and shake it to mix it well. Just make sure you have a good fitting lid and that it’s tight before shaking! LOL
  • You can use cider vinegar if you don’t have or don’t like balsamic.
  • You can omit the vinegar and double the lime juice.
  • You can use lemon juice if you don’t have lime or prefer lemon.
  • You can leave cilantro ‘whole’ if you don’t want to chop it.
  • If using dried cilantro instead of fresh, add to ‘dressing’ with red pepper flakes rather than straight to mangos…this allows it to rehydrate more.
  • As always, you can omit the red pepper flakes or add more…if you are going to add, just make sure you let all the flavors marinate a bit before adding.
  • I have added tomatoes for a bit different version.
  • It’s very easy to make this for more or less people…simply divide each ingredient by 4 to get the per person amount.
  • Absolutely great with BBQ, Mexican dinners, like my Quesadilla Pie, soups, like my Caribbean Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup, fish, steak…aww heck…great with everything. Winking smile

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and if you try the recipe, as always, I would love any feedback you would care to give.
 

6 comments:

  1. I love mangoes. This sounds delicious. I'm glad your mom is doing better and I hope you will be getting better soon too. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish. I love mangoes. Will have to try when we get to my daughters.

    Happy your Mom is better, sorry your arm isn't. Are you doing any physical therapy? Even if you don't go, they will give you some exercises that should help. Even massage therapy can help.

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Cat. Good news about your mom. I hope your arm improves soon.

    Hey! Quit talking about me when I'm not here to write volumes in my defense. ;-)

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cat,

    Thanks for the recipe, sounds yummy!

    So happy to hear about your Mom, that is great news. I'm sorry to hear your arm is getting worse and hope you find a solution and are feeling better soon. I always want your opinion on my posts :)

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your mom is doing better! Hope your arm will be better soon though. :)

    Love mangos and this sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the recipe.... :-) glad your mom is feeling better. Take care of yourself. Hugs, Terps

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.