Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Monday, August 4, 2014

How Old is Grandma?

 

Stay with this...the answer is at the end.  It will blow you away.

 
One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.  The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.
 
The Grandmother replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:
television
penicillin
polio shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
Frisbees and
the pill.
 

There were no:
credit cards
laser beams or
ball-point pens.
 

Man had not yet invented:
pantyhose
air conditioners
dishwashers
clothes dryers
and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
man hadn't yet walked on the moon
 

Your Grandfather and I got married first, and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.
 
Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir."
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."


We were before computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends - not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to Big Bands on our radios.
And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it…it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 & 10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all 5 cents

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your 5 cents on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Ford Coupe for $600, but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 16 cents a gallon.
 
In my day:
"grass" was mowed,
"coke" was a cold drink,
"pot" was something your mother cooked in and
"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
"chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store and...
"software" wasn't even a word.
 

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby.
No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap.
 

How old do you think I am?
 

I bet you have this old lady in mind. You are in for a shock!
 

Read on to see…pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.
 
 
Are you ready?????
 

 
 
This woman would be only 62 years old…Born in 1952.
 
 
GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.
PASS THIS ON TO THE OLD ONES.
THE YOUNG ONES WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT. LOL

16 comments:

  1. I believe it. I was born in the 60's, my parent's house was bought for $3000. (now worth over a million), there was none of the fast food, cable TV, computers, cell phones, and video games. It is said that the 60's was the end of the innocence. It's too bad, that was a great time to be young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Blondie...I grew up in the 60's and those were the years of innocence. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  2. Cute story, though obviously just that.

    Penicillin was discovered in 1928. I had to double check but when I saw the dates, something in my mind told me it didn't add up.

    Also, someone born in 1952 wouldn't have been listening to Big Band by the time they were old enough to listen and remember.

    If I had to guess, the post should be about 30-40 years prior to the age listed, with the exception of Polio, which is where I assume the 1952 date come from in the first place.

    Families also used to be more extended, beyond just mom and dad. It wasn't unusual for aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, mom, dad, kids to all live under the same roof. There are many places around the world and even in "progressive" countries where that is still the case.

    Cultures were built around the idea that it takes a village to raise children. "Mom and Dad" doing everything on their own is a fairly new concept as far as human civilization goes.

    And...I've taken this far more seriously than I should.

    It's just a pet peeve for people to linger on how great "the old days were" and ignore social, health, and political concerns at the time. Every generation has its wonders/improvements and its obstacles.

    I could say more, but I've probably said too much as it is.

    Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey JAS...I didn't fact-check before I posted this...just received it as an email and thought it was funny. I did label this post as giggles and fact or fiction since I hadn't checked it out and some seemed a bit off to me. Some of these were invented but not in common use until the late 50's early 60's. Personally, I think there are always going to be things that were better in the past but then there are things that are better now and will be even better in the future. Sorry if I upset you...was just meant as a bit of a giggle and thought provoker.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  3. I'm not shocked. I was born before then so I remember as some of the stuff came on board, other stuff was already here but not mainstream. And just another sub was right, the Big Bands died out in the late 40's and R&R was what we listened to on the radio. Also, when I was a teenager, we made out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Sunny...you made out as a teenager?!? What a racy girl you were! ;) As I told JAS, I didn't fact-check...this was posted more as a bit of a giggle and a reminder that some of these things haven't been around for very long. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  4. This was fun Cat.
    Even with being born in the 60's, I've seen lots of changes, as my kids groan when I remind them how easy they have it when they can watch or listen to whatever their little hearts desire on their phones or tablets in an air conditioned car with a variety of fast food available on a long road trip. We had an am radio but no a/c in our old station wagon, only paper back books and a picnic basket on the side of the road when I was a kid. ;)
    hugs,
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Cali...I remember driving across country on a family vacation with no A/C in the car...my dad would get us up about 3am so that we could drive before it got too hot and then we would stop around noon. We were so excited when we got to stay in a motel with an A/C unit in the window! And wow...it was a treat when we stopped at a drive-in restaurant and the car-hop brought our meal out to the car!

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  5. Cat,
    You know I love this post. I just wonder where we will all be in ten years. What is being invented that we will so casually regard as common.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thought Mere...so much as been invented in the last 100 years...even the last 50 years...looking forward to see where we're going next.

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Hi Cat,oh gosh that is unbelievable when you actually read it. Sometimes the world just seems to have moved a bit too quick!!
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jan...looking back, it's sometimes unbelievable how far we've come!

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete
  7. I talked this weekend to my dad. He was born in 1931. And he said did you know what I remember from the good old days? Hunger. I was always hungry all day long. Sure, life was slower then, but not better, let nobody tell you times were better then, son.

    Yes, time does go fast. We simply have to adjust I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand what you're dad was saying Han...just because it's in the past, does not make it better and just because it's new does not make it better. Think we just need to be better at choosing what is important and adjusting. ;)

      Hugs and Blessings...
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.