Adult Content Warning

You have entered a site intended for ADULTS ONLY. If you are under the age of 18, or if it is illegal to view such material in your community, please exit this site immediately. This site contains mature content including but not limited to; articles, discussions, pictures and other materials that some people may find offensive. If such materials offend you, please exit this site immediately.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Letter



This was on my FB page the other day. It so touched my heart that I had to share.

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month.

The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.

She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her.

I told her that I thought we could so, and she dictated these words:


Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her. She likes to swim and play with balls. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love, Meredith


We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven.

We put our return address on it.

Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven.

That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.

A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.

I told her that I thought He had.


Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.

Meredith opened it.

Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.'

Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope.

On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:


Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart.

Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find. I am wherever there is love.

Love, God
Courtesy of

20 comments:

  1. So sweet, and something I needed tonight. Thanks, Cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped TL. Hang in there sweetie.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  2. I have tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing this, it's nice to knnow there are still caring people out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sunny, it is so nice to know that isn't it.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  3. Lovely! To take the time to write this shows compassion and love. There are so many wonderful people out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always hear the negative, isn't it nice to hear to the positive Minelle. :)

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful heart that kind soul has, to take the time to ease the broken heart of a child - warms my heart through and through. There are good people everywhere!
    hugs, Cat
    love
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lillie - that person has a very wonderful heart! :)

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  5. I have tears rolling down my face. It reminded me of my brother who tried to call heaven when he was five to ask God if our Grandmother was OK.
    Thanks Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww BB - that had to be a tough one. Hope this helped.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  6. Lovely story. Often the death of pets is the first time children have to deal with losing a loved one.
    When our son was a few weeks old we got a new puppy. When that dog died 11 years later, our son lost a friend that he had played with every single day of his life.
    Thank you, Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Bas and it is very hard to explain it to them isn't it. All your son knew is that he lost one of his best friends.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  7. Oh this is so lovely Cat, brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing. Stories like this restores you faith in human kind don't they?

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do Roz - I would much rather have tears in my eyes from reading something like this than some atrocity.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  8. It's almost a year to the day we lost our own dear dog/child. This made me cry, but in a good way. Thanks Cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Queenie - our pets do become so much a member of our family don't they. So sorry for your loss.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  9. I'm crying so hard. How wonderful of the person who took the time and care to respond. I hope God Blesses them in return. Thank you, Lucy

    P.S. Isn't your blog suppose to be giggles and grins. Today it is tears and hugs to my own dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy - It is always so nice to read the happy stories about the kindness of people and I'm with you, I do hope they receive God's blessings for their kindness.

      It's giggles, grins and reflections - but actually whatever 'wild hair' I get to post. ;) Thanks for stopping by.

      Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete
  10. I, too, saw this on facebook not long ago. It hit home after losing both our dogs within a year of each other. I still cry when I think of them...yesterday, in fact. Thanks for praying this here, Cat. Hugs.

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Irishey - I still mourn at times for lost pets so definitely understand how you feel.

      Hugs and Blessings,
      Cat

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Respectful comments are always welcome.